Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Hard Day's Night

I have the goal to update this every day or every other day but this week has been crazy busy adjusting to an entirely new routine and schedule.

So here are the highlights from my first full week of work!

Monday I woke up at 5 a.m. for I think the first time in my life (that wasn't for enrollment) for my first day at Southwest! I was nervous/anxious/excited basically every emotion you can have all at once. My cousin, Jason, woke up early and made breakfast for all of us, he and Sara really take good care of me, and then I was headed off to my first day! The day started with Intern Orientation, where we learned the history of Southwest and more about what the NoLimits Internship has in store for us. I also learned that the 65 of us were picked out of about 6,000 applicants. That was insane to find out. After orientation our departements came to pick us up and show us where we would be working. The other intern in my department, Cristin and I were greeted by Lori and Cindy. Lori and Cindy showed us to our cubicles that were completely decked out with ballons, welcome signs and our favorite snacks. Then our department took us to lunch and we continued to get to know each other better. Our department is made up of five women and two interns. It's small but I really like it and everyone is super friendly and helpful. The first day ended with a "Deck Party", these are usually outside on the third floor deck but in the winter they are held upstairs in the cafeteria. Deck Parties are basically a happy hour hosted by a different department each time for the entire company. Theres drinks, snacks and even a DJ. It was so much fun and such a great way to end the first day - a few interns and I even did the Wobble with four older employees!

Tuesday I was greeted with a wonderful sleet/snow mixture as I walked out of the door. For some reason I hadn't thought to check the weather and wasn't really expecting snow in Texas but I have learned my lesson now. I was worried about being late but everything ended up working out.

Wednesday there was a happy hour hosted for all of the interns after work, another fun way to get to know people!

The rest of the week was nuts. Getting used to waking up so early everyday and packing my lunch and making breakfast has been quite an adjustment. I do think I am starting to get a system down though. I have worked on something different everyday but love what I am doing. I have done work in Photoshop, InDesign and started my first writing assignment for one of the internal publications we are responsible for. Each day a group of interns meets to eat lunch together, which has been a really great and easy way to get to know people and find out what projects other departments are working on.

Friday a group of interns decided to get together and go out in Dallas for our first weekend here. We met at two girls' apartment, hung out and had some pre-going out beverages and then headed to Uptown! We ended up at a place called The Den and literally never left the dance floor. It was a blast! Since I don't live close enough to down town to go home after a night of drinking fellow interns, Elly and Erin, graciously let me crash at their apartment for the weekend.

Saturday was a lazy recovery day followed by a small group going to dinner in Uptown at a really nice mexican restaurant called, Mi Cocina. If you ever go there I recommend getting the drink the Mambo Taxi, it was a little pricey but it was the best frozen margarita I've ever had.

I finally returned home to Jason and Sara on Sunday for a lazy day of food and football.

This weekend was fabulous! I am having so much fun with the other interns and can't wait to start traveling with them next weekend!

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: @tessrannosaurus

No comments:

Post a Comment