Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Posters from Paris

Today was a day for some more exploring! Since I don't start work until Monday I thought I'd take advantage of the free time I had to get to know my surroundings.

Southwest has made a group for all of the interns to be able to get connected with each other on facebook and I ended up planning to meet up with a fellow intern today and went to the Dallas Museum of Art.




Now I can't really remember the last time I went to an art museum but I was excited to do something out of my comfort zone and to meet someone else in a similar situation as me.

The museum was HUGE and had so many cool things in it. The visiting exhibit was called the Posters from Paris.

They were so amazing. This was definitely my favorite thing we saw today. If you are at all interested I would highly recommend doing some research about this art form, I learned so much today!

This was one of my favorites, however this doesn't even come close to doing it justice. Seeing it in person the colors were extremely vibrant and beautiful. I almost couldn't believe it was real.



At the end of the exhibit there was a chance to make our own poster by placing different parts of famous works on a clipboard and placing a transparency over them and tracing the outline with dry erase markers, then placing another transparency and coloring in the outlines, a third transparency is available to add whatever you want to your poster. I used the third one to color in the background. Once we were done designing our poster we handed it to the staff and they completed the process. I'm not exactly sure how they transfer the color from the transparencies to the paper but it came out really cool!

The beginning:


The final product:


After we made our posters we continued to wander around looking at all sorts of different works of art. I was amazed by the amount of things in the museum.

After the museum we met up with another fellow intern for lunch. We went to Fadi's Mediterranean Grill, a Greek food restaurant. I've never really had Greek food so I was a little confused, but the girls helped me and I ended up getting chicken marinated in some sort of oil and sautéed veggies, potato wedge types things, a Greek salad and sweet hummus with pita bread. It was a ton of food but it was sooooo yummy!

Then I decided it was time to head home. It just happened to be rush hour so I got to experience that again. Getting used to driving down here is going to be a little bit of a challenge. I do well on the highways at home in Kansas City but down here the traffic is crazy and no one, I mean NO ONE, uses their blinkers.

Gertrude has also been quite testy lately. A little back story on my car, the front end has some sort of short in it which affects the radio, cigarette outlet and tells me something is wrong with my airbag. So the radio likes to turn all the way down randomly, completely on its own or change the radio station or just beep over and over again. I just got a new FM adapter for my iPod because the CD player is basically shot as well and that has been acting up when Gertrude decides to screw with me. Dealing with all of these distractions while driving AND in a new city has proven to be an entertaining challenge. I just wish someone else could witness it.

I've also been using the new Google Maps app on my phone to navigate my way around. The lady that tells me where to go also causes some frustration due to the fact that she will sometimes forget to tell me when to turn or will tell me to turn after I already have. I have decided to call her Gretchen because I need a name to say when I'm yelling at her for getting me lost.

Everyone should be sad they don't get to witness Gertrude and Gretchen irritating me and me talking to my car and GPS. Wow, I have GOT to meet some people.

I'm trying to get better at taking pictures to go with the stories I have so just bare with me on that :)




No comments:

Post a Comment