Sunday, January 13, 2013

Getting used to Change

Friday was my last weekday to sleep in, obviously I took advantage. I knew that I had a pretty decent sized to do list to finalize some paperwork before I start work on Monday but I felt I deserved to relax a little before I started on that.

When I realized the Pre Hire paperwork I needed to print off and fill out was 54 pages long, I went out in search of a FedEx/UPS Store. Luckily there was one right down the street that was conveniently located next to a Panera. I spent the next few hours at Panera enjoying a bowl of my favorite brocoli cheddar soup, fuji apple chicken salad and many cups of english breakfast tea while filling out my Pre Hire paperwork and completing my online orientation.



While filling out my paperwork I found my self having to re-read a few of the things I was signing, I've never understood why pre-employment things are as confusing as they are but I managed to get through it. Then I did my online orientation, which got me super pumped for my first day! I am so excited about all of the opportunities that I am about to embark on, in many of the materials Southwest says "get ready for the flight of your life" and after all that I've done today I am more than ready! I can't wait to see what the next three months have in store!

Most of my friends returned to Pittsburg today since the new semester starts on Monday. I got a little "home" sick seeing that everyone was getting back together and realizing that I really wasn't going back, it was a little bit of an emotional afternoon.

This is why I'm extremely grateful to be staying with family. Jason and Sara didn't know I was having a rough day but they asked me to come to dinner with them and I was so glad. We went out had a couple beers and a great dinner together, totally took my mind off missing my friends.

Saturday an intern planned a get together so that we can all have a chance to meet each other before our first day. We met at Katy Trail Ice House that was close to the Uptown area I found earlier in the week. There was about 20ish interns that came (there are about 50-60 of us total). I loved getting to meet everyone and enjoyed getting to learn where everyone was from and how they ended up here. There are people from all over the country and world, it's going to be great to be around so many different backgrounds.

Sunday was a lazy day centered around phone calls home and football. I got to FaceTime with my mom for over an hour this morning and see my Tucker man. Being this far from home has been hard so far but I love that we can FaceTime because it feels like I am right back at home hanging out with my mom. Then my day got even better when my girls from Pitt FaceTimed me! There are six of us that are very close and they celebrated my friend Cassie's birthday this weekend. It was hard to not be there and be apart of everything (we make birthdays a big deal and I was bummed to have to miss it) but getting a  FaceTime call from all of them this morning was awesome, I felt like I was back there with them as well. God bless Apple and Steve Jobs for making moving away easier. I even got to talk to my dad and grandma today too, touching base with everyone today was so great.

I am missing my Tucker man a lot, luckily Jason and Sara's dog Oliver is just as much as a snuggle bug and has been hanging out with me all weekend - so I'm still getting my dog fix in.



All of these changes happening at once are a lot to take in, but having all of these awesome people supporting me is making it easier. Tomorrow is my first day at Southwest! I am beyond excited, I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep tonight. I'm sure I will have a ton of new experiences to share in the week to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment