Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crash

Sunday I was driving home from the airport and I had talked to my mom on the phone almost the entire drive home. I was about three exits away from mine when we hung up, it was about 2:00 p.m. I had pulled up to some stopped traffic and had just stopped my car in the right hand lane, when I heard screeching tires and then a black SUV slammed in to the side of my car. I had ended up in the middle of the busy highway before I even realized what had happened. Those that know me, know that I cry in most situations. So there I was crying and screaming in the middle of the highway in my smashed up Gertrude. I truly believe God was with me on Sunday though because instantly this man, Jayson was at the side of my car telling me to breathe and stay calm and that he was going to help me. It then hit me that my windows were busted out and there was glass everywhere. Another lady came up after him and told me she was a nurse and wanted to make sure I was okay. The two of them had to be my guardian angels because I don't know what I would have done without them.

The nurse was already on the phone with 911 and Jayson had already taken pictures of the scene. Then he came, crawled in the passengers side and helped me move my car off the highway. I was too emotional to know what to do so he ended up moving the car for me. While he went and talked to the police the nurse stayed with me and held my hand until the paramedics and firemen got me out of the car. The both of them called my mom and my cousin for me, since a crying screaming girl isn't really a good phone call to receive.

My back and neck hurt instantly so they put me on a stretcher and in the ambulance to take me to the hospital. The ride to the hospital was almost as scary as the wreck itself. I was all strapped in and down and couldn't move - which I hate.

Finally I got to the hospital and got vacuumed off (there was too much glass to know what to do with) and they started assessing my injuries and doing the whole admitting process (I really wished Cassie could have been there this time). In between getting a chest x-ray and two CAT scans, we tried to find the super bowl. Just my luck, my room didn't get the channel it was on. You've GOT to be kidding me. I finally got to leave the hospital with some serious pain meds at about 7:00.

After leaving the hospital I had to go to the impound to get my things out of my car. I had a full suitcase among other things that i didn't want sitting in my open car all night, and I wanted to see the damage.





Then I needed to get my prescriptions filled - will one of my friends working in healthcare explain to me why it takes a year and a half to do? I finally got home at 9:00, running on about four hours of sleep and pure adrenaline at this point I just about died.

Monday was full of phone calls and naps due to the pain medicine. Tuesday was much of the same.

I did however, receive these beautiful flowers from the Cabin Services department at Southwest! Made my day a little brighter for sure. :)




Getting a rental car is becoming a pain because I'm not 25 or a resident of Texas. The police report hasn't been posted yet so I still haven't been able to file a claim with the other insurance company. Oh and I am broke so the whole buying a new car things has been a fun thing to look in to as well. Basically this has been the crappiest week ever. Maybe by the end I'll write a survivor's guide to totaling your car: the saga of dealing with insurance, rental cars and the stress that comes with it. You know, trying to look on the bright side ;)



1 comment: